Monday, August 24

District 9 - The Review

Here we go. Warning...this will not be a good review...I mean, it won't be a quality review...yeah, that's more accurate.

The worst thing about the movie...well..mostly the worst thing was that my popcorn was too salty and Paul had to take it back and have them give us more...which was then salt free and, frankly, gross. So..that was the worst part :)

The first 10 or so minutes of the movie just seems to be in a documentary interview style...which I didn't find as annoying as I thought I would. From there, you could kinda tell that something was going to happen to the main character. So the aliens come, and we bust into their space ship..to find them "sick"...so the humans relocate them to a "camp" which after some time the humans don't want to deal with anymore...there is some chaos..and then the humans come to relocate them to somewhere more convenient to them. Sound familiar???? Sounds like something that we do over and over again....


There were some funny bits...one for me was when they tried to knock on all the doors of these aliens in District 9 to tell them they were being evicted and relocated....and asked for them to sign the sheet acknowledging this.


How stupid...yet funny.... So during the house to house eviction, the main guy gets this stuff sprayed on him which makes him sick..they want to cut him up for science, he escapes and then goes back to District 9, where he finds out the stuff that he sprayed on himself is the stuff they need to go home. They spend the rest of the movie trying to get it...whew. I am kind of exhausted now.

Another think I liked was the noise the humans made when hit by the alien gun...it was kind of a splat...it made me giggle. I thought the story was good..shows how the huntee became the hunted...and how in the end, we all should have compassion for each other. I am not really sure that was the point, but it sounds nice, right???

Overall, it was a little different than I expected but in a positive way! Hope you enjoy it too...but if not, I don't give refunds...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's the writer of the film that is from Johannesburg, SA where they have had a minoirty slum issue for decades and have tried many times to move them to the middle of nowhere so you wouldn't see the slums in the city. Not surprising that he used this as a basis for his socail commentary in the movie!

Derek - ATL